Equal vs Unequal length headers on a Subaru WRX STI

One of the first video games I played on a console was Gran Turismo 2, such a memorable title which kick started my love of cars and racing games. It also brings me back to one of my favourite cars from the game, the Subaru Impreza WRX STI (GC8). Thanks to the low price tag, I was able to obtain one pretty early in the career mode and I loved how easy it was to drive fast. With the factory fitted bodykit, gold wheels and huge rear spoiler, I was also a fan of the rally-inspired styling.

Being a Gran Turismo game (i.e. not brilliant in the sound department), I wasn't aware of how good the boxer engine actually sounded until I heard it in real life. That burble associated with the WRX is a result of unequal length headers being fitted. This begs the question: 'what happens when equal length headers are fitted to a WRX?' The video below compares unequal length headers to equal length headers on a 2008 model.





The clip with the equal length headers shows the iconic sound being exchanged for a harmony more synonymous to a traditional inline-four engine. Despite sounding smoother, part of the character of a Subaru is lost by fitting headers equal in length. However the headers are set up, your ears will be getting a treat!

Comments