Fast And Furious: Legacy - Second Look


About a week ago (week ago!), I decided to try out the mobile racing game Fast and Furious: Legacy. Despite its limited scope, there was some fun to be had at no cost. After spending some more time with the game, I've made some more discoveries in this game, some of which makes me... ahem... Furious.

First and foremost, progression feels quite slow in Story Mode. I got a bit bored of only having a Subaru BRZ in my garage, so I wanted to try my luck at opening a crate containing a car. On my first attempt, I got a Hyundai Veloster, which had an even worse rating than my BRZ when it was stock. Having a slower car in the same class is pointless for progression, it's not like it would even be any more useful than the Subaru. Once I gathered enough coins to purchase another crate, I obtained a classic Corvette C3! This was ideal, because it was in the class above the BRZ, which would be handy for the following chapters.



Crates are not the only way to obtain cars. As you play through story mode, you do get rewarded with cars to progress. At the time when I couldn't use the BRZ anymore, I was rewarded with a Honda Prelude. Being a fan of Japanese sports cars, this was more to my liking than the C3, but the performance rating was so much worse, 288 (even with an upgrade part put on) compared to the 314 rating of a stock 'Vette. Difficulty is a bit off in story mode - the AI can be difficult to beat even when their cars have a lower rating, so it's best I stuck with the Corvette in order to progress. Perhaps the Prelude can be used for challenge races instead, it's not like the game will allow me to sell it anyway.



Last week I complained about drift mode being difficult to master, but now I have got to grips with the mechanism. Turns out you have got to balance the angle of the car and ensure you keep the road markers green. If there is one positive I have found with the game over the last week, it is this game mode. If only they made it clear on how it should be done in the tutorial.



Based on my first impressions of the Fast and Furious: Legacy, I would have given the game a 6/10, now it's more like a 4/10. While I still think the graphics look good, the gameplay gets extremely repetitive quickly. It's not helped by the difficulty of story mode meaning you could be stuck on a chapter for longer than you expect. So far, it looks like the sort of game that relies on in-app purchases to be made in order to get anywhere. However, Fast and Furious: Legacy hasn't been available to the general public long so there are opportunities for the developers to improve the game and convince me to increase the rating in the future.



Comments