My Newest Gadget!


I have finally purchased a (half) shiny new eighth generation console! It was not an easy transition, especially as this means switching from Sony to Microsoft ('fanboying' over consoles is so last decade), but now could not have been a better time to go for the Xbox as I will explain later on.

Basics of my new toy - It is the new 1 Terabyte specification introduced earlier this month at E3 which now features a matte coating on one side of the console, twice the amount of storage as the launch model and a revised controller including a headset jack. The Xbox One feels and looks like a high quality machine compared to the Playstation 3 Slim which I have been used to seeing over the past five years. The glossy parts of the exterior are heavily ventilated to keep the internal components at a moderate temperature after long running periods.


The controller is heavier than a Dualshock 3 but it feels more ergonomic. Vibrations are sent through the triggers in the game I used to test it out, creating a more immersive experience. The controller is not perfect though, out of the box it still requires AA batteries. A play and charge kit is available at an extra cost, which is probably essential to pick up to avoid buying a shedload of Duracells.



Why the Xbox One 1TB? This is the first eighth generation console to be given a hardware update which means it does not require a year and a half's worth of updates (though it required one weighing just over 270mb) and the issues at launch have been ironed out. Even if the improvements aren't noticeable initially, can we get back to the fact it now has 1TB of storage? With games having up to 50GB of data these days, space is more essential than ever in the history of console gaming!

Now here comes the part why I chose it over the PS4 - Games catalogue. I am not swayed over the marginal graphical advantage Sony's machine may have right now, at the end of the day if there are no exclusives that don't entice me enough it is not worth having photo-realistic titles which bore me. With Polyphony Digital taking an age to release a Gran Turismo sequel and the Xbox is about to get its third Forza instalment, the choice was obvious for the high-octance gamer such as myself.

Value for money also drew me towards the Xbox - with the Playstation 4 still yet to receive an official price cut, the 500GB launch edition still stands at £350 and you already know that storage space will not last long. With the Xbox One, I got a bundle with twice the capacity and three full games at that price.



I have not ruled out purchasing a Playstation 4 in the future. A number of factors would have to come into play before Sony has me back in their court - More storage, A significant price cut, more compact hardware and a new Gran Turismo game. A 1TB PS4 Slim bundled with GT7 for under £250? Yes please! But for now, I will make the most of what I've got now and enjoy my new Xbox One!

Comments